There are various types of visas that the United States requests for employment, study, family, travel, business, and for a temporary or permanent stay. Citizens of some countries do not need a visa to travel to the United States. Unfortunately, this does not apply to any Latin American country except Chile, and citizens with dual nationality of one of the countries eligible for the ESTA waiver.

Non-immigrant visas in the United States

A non-immigrant visa allows a temporary stay in the United States. They are organized according to different categories and can you can request any of them at US Embassies. There are several types of nonimmigrant visas for temporary visitors if they are not US citizens or legal permanent residents of the United States. The purpose of your trip and other facts will determine the type of visa that will be required, according to immigration laws in the United States. It is essential to have clarity regarding the purpose of your trip to get an adequate nonimmigrant visa. Visa USA Now will guide you through the necessary steps to apply for a visa at a United States Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Check the list below to find information on all types of US visas that can be processed to enter the United States of America.

Purpose of travel to the United States and visas for non-immigrants Type of Visa
Athletes, amateurs & professionals (that compete only for monetary prizes) B-1
Au pairs (exchange visitor) J
Australian Professional Specialty E-3
Border Crossing Card: Mexico BCC
Business Visitors B-1
Crew members D
Diplomats and officials of foreign governments A
Domestic employees or nanny who must accompany a foreign employer B-1
Employees of an international organization, and NATO G1-G5, NATO
Exchange Visitors J
Foreign military personnel stationed in the United States A2, NATO1-6

Foreigners with extraordinary skills in Science, Arts, Education, Business or Sports O
Professionals of a free trade agreement (FTA): Chile, Singapore H-1B1
Internationally cultural exchange visitors Q
Employees transferred between companies L
Visitors for medical treatment B-2
Journalists I
NAFTA Professional Workers: Mexico, Canada TN/TD
Nurses who come to areas with a lack of professional healthcare H1-C
Athletes, artists or entertainers that are going to perform P
Doctor J, H-1B
Teacher (exchange visitor) J
Religious workers R
Specialized occupations requiring specialized knowledge H-1B
Students: academic, vocational F, M
Temporary Farmers H-2A
Seasonal workers carrying out seasonal work H-2B
Visitors for tourism, pleasure or vacations B2
Training in a program not primarily for employment H-3
Traders or investors in treaties E
Transiting the United States C
Victim of criminal activity U
Victim of human trafficking T
Nonimmigrant (V) Visa for Spouse and Children of a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) V
Information from the Directory of Visa Categories from the US Department of State

The B1/B2 visa category is among the most requested, known as a tourist visa. With this kind of permit, you can visit on vacation, visit your family or friends, attend a business meeting, participate in work training, have medical treatment or develop missionary labor. If you wish to take a short recreational course, with an hourly intensity fewer than 18 hours per week, you can do so with this visa.

Visa for students or scholars

These visa categories are for those who yearn to study in the United States. Individuals wishing to explore an academic program such as a university or an intensive English institute must apply for an F visa.

But if you want to do a non-academic, vocational study, such as a painting, gastronomy or writing, you must apply for an M visa. For most Latin American countries, this visa lasts for a maximum of five years, depending on the duration of the program.

J-1 Visa for exchange programs

Authorities grant this type of visa to applicants whose primary purpose is to have an exchange program to the United States. Millions of people go to the US to make meaningful relationships, both in education and culture.

Among the exchange programs are: working as an Au Pair, as a summer camp counselor, as a temporary student in a university or transient student in a secondary school. Some programs are for distinguished people of governments or international visitors, doctors, bilingual teachers, professors, researchers, and fellows. Visa USA Now specializes on the B1/B2 visa, and it´s imperative to know to which you´re applying, for further guidance get in touch with us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Por qué nuestros clientes nos quieren

  • Soporte en Español y en inglés, en vivo 24/7
  • Preparación completa antes de su entrevista (incluyendo una simulación de la entrevista)
  • Codificación segura de sus datos al someter su aplicación y hacer su pago.
  • Opinión de immigration attorneys
  • Servicios de traducción
  • Proceso fácil de entender, paso a paso
  • 98.7 % de visas aprobadas