If you´ve investigated thoroughly then you know that an education in the USA can be quite expensive. Here at Visa USA Now www.visausanow.com we get inquiries and comments every day about students worried that they won´t be able to pay their tuition fees, among other expenses. Nonetheless, there are some options available for working legally in the USA as a foreign student.

An alternative in working at the institution you´re studying in since students with an F-1 visa who study full-time can work in the US if they comply with some requirements. For example, foreign students cannot work more than 20 hours a week. They can only work full-time if they´re on holidays. Furthermore, foreign students can only work off-campus if their place of work is officially related to the university, college, or other educational institution where the individual is carrying out his or her studies. Also, the work that is performed must be related in some way to student service, for example: work in libraries, bookstores on campus, etc.

If you´re a foreign student in the USA, you can also request permission to work legally if you are going through a financial crisis. In this case, it´s necessary to comply with a number of requirements, such as: having a valid student status, being a full-time student and at least one full academic year with the F-1 visa. You could also request this permission if you´re facing other urgent financial needs, for example, if you lose your job on campus, drastic changes regarding the currency of your country, medical bills, loss of financial aid or other unexpected expenses.

Practical curricular training is another option foreign students have for working legally in the USA. These are paid internships that have to be related to the degree the student is studying. These internships can be part-time (less than 20 hours a week), or full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during holidays.

You can also apply to “optional practical training”. This program applies to students from other countries with a valid F-1 visa that are pursuing a bachelor's degree, a master's degree or even a Ph.D. The work permit has a maximum duration of one year, although in certain fields related to Science and Technology it can be extended up to 17 months.

If the student hasn´t graduated it´s necessary that he or she has completed at least one academic year in the United States. The work to be performed also has to be directly related to the student´s studies. The student must work part-time during the academic year and will be able to extend his or her work schedule during the holidays. If the student applies to work after graduating he or she can work full time, but it´s necessary that the labor is directly related to the area of study.

This person can also create a company since companies created by foreign students after they have finished their study programs are valid optional practical training. Start your visa procedure today with us for further guidance on this topic.


  1. October 7, 2018 by Abdul bari

    Iam in war cuntry in libya pleas help me

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Por qué nuestros clientes nos quieren

  • Soporte en Español y en inglés, en vivo 24/7
  • Preparación completa antes de su entrevista (incluyendo una simulación de la entrevista)
  • Codificación segura de sus datos al someter su aplicación y hacer su pago.
  • Opinión de immigration attorneys
  • Servicios de traducción
  • Proceso fácil de entender, paso a paso
  • 98.7 % de visas aprobadas